I grew up on a cul-de-sac with tons of kids. My best friend and I would run around the neighborhood from house to house, but I spent more time at her house than at my own, and Janet (her mom) was like a second mother to me. She was always warm and welcoming, and she had the best cackling laugh. When we were growing up, Janet created a "Never Fail Pie Crust" recipe. My mom and I would bake our pies with this recipe and she was so right - this crust NEVER fails. Janet passed away from cancer when I was in high school, so now, every year, no matter where I am during Thanksgiving, I make Janet's pie crust because it makes me feel close to home. Holidays like these help to remind you to give your loved ones an extra squeeze and really cherish the time you get to spend with them. Cheers to being thankful, and cheers to making delicious pies!
This year's pie: Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie with Janet's famous Never Fail Crust. Scroll down for the recipes!
Janet's Never-Fail Pie Crust
- Wax Paper
- 3 C Flour
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1.5 C Shortening
- 1 Egg (Beaten)
- 1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 TBS Water
- Beat egg in a bowl. Add water and vinegar and mix. Set Aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and shortening. Press the shortening into the mixture with a fork or pastry cutter until the flakes are about the size of a pea.
- Mix the liquid into the dry mixture slowly, in increments and mix with your hands. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes before rolling out for the pie.
- Use two large strips of wax paper on a smooth surface to roll out the dough. This helps to make for a more even roll (and less messy).
- Remove the top layer of wax paper and place the pie tin upside down on the dough. Slip hand under the bottom side of the wax paper and flip the dough onto the pan.
- Flatten the crust against the pan and make sure there are no bubbles underneath. Trim the excess dough from the edges and make whatever edge you want!
BOURBON CHOCOLATE PECAN FILLING
- 2 C Pecans
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 C Dark Brown Sugar
- 2/3 C Light Corn Syrup
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 3 TBS Bourbon
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 3/4 C Dark Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Toast the pecans for 5-10 minutesm or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, melted butter, bourbon, and salt until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate and mix until coated.
- Pour the filling into the prepped pie shell. Place in a cookie sheet on the bottom shelf of your oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the center of the pie is set.
- Cool for an hour before serving. Enjoy!